Wednesday, March 9, 2011

advice to young artists in a postmodern era.

Talent, Itelligence, and Art... The author goes on to talk about how our society tends to perceive those who are intelligent as though who occupy their time with so-called intelligent pursuits. He gives a few examples then goes on to talk about the differences between intelligence and genius. When talking about tallent he decribed a story that i found really entertaining. A story about a tennis player who would talk out loudly to their opponet about the strengths, then the player would start to focus on how they do that particular move. Focusing on that would affect their game and would cause them to lose the game. I just found this interesting because i know how hard things can be at times once you lose your focus. Near the end of the chapter he goes into description on conformists, anticonformists, and non conformists. I would like to consider myself a non-conformists but most like most of the time i am a conformists.




Reading-and Reading Right... this chapter taught me a lot on the importance of reading. How you can improve your IQ score just by reading a higher level book. A test was done on 2 students that had the same IQ score, one began reading a lower IQ level book while the other read a book at a higher level than their own. Over time the second student's IQ score changed and became a higher number while the other student's lowered due to reading a lower level book. Reading this has encouraged me and given me the urge to start reading again. I have never been one to want to read when i have down time, but i'm hoping and working towards changing that. I have a book shelf of books that friends have given to me or suggested that I buy to read. Also, knowing that my IQ can increase just by a higher level reading material is another incentive.

No comments:

Post a Comment