Thursday, September 6, 2012

conscientious

this is work that i found similar to my own by Adam Holtzman. “After the unexpected death of my grandfather, I gathered with my family to grieve and to try and put things in order. We began to sort his belongings, going through each room cleaning and packing. After several trips the house became empty of these things that were his. As this process became complete I was struck by the differing voids left as a result. Here was a place, now absent of its occupant, the belongings and life.”- Adam Holtzman. Back in March my great-grandmother passed away and i too photographed her house as it was emptied. The images leave you with this emptiness that your loved one and all of their belongings are gone. Photographing my "Mamaw's" house was the best decision for me, it helped me to grieve and accept her passing. You can find more of Adam's work at http://www.adamholtzman.com/absence8.html.





This image is by Adam Nadel, a photojournalist. whose projects Portraits of Noncombatants and Rwanda Testimonies are both excellent and utterly compelling work. I relate to his work because his hope is to connect to the viewer and to create an opportunity for the public to better comprehend the effects of the environment they live in. Here is child a child that has seen the effects of war.







This is an image that i don't necessarily like, by David Smith. Smith's work Arecibo is a project that combines appropriated Internet imagery with an exploration into the history of humanity and evolution of civilisation. Using naturally occurring fallout colours from the creation of Google Maps, Smith uses thousands of jpegs to construct an image of a significant period in human history. I understand the purpose behind the work but don't enjoy the look of the work. This person to me is an artist and not a photographer since it didn't take the original images. To see more of his work you can go to http://cargocollective.com/dtsmith.


All of the artists were found on http://jmcolberg.com/weblog/. 

No comments:

Post a Comment